The bit where we give stuff away
We are very proud to have raised over £200,100 since we started OF&D in 2010….all we wanted to do was go on a bike ride and meet some new people!
Our work was initially with three main partner charities: Le Rondin School, Guernsey Sports Association for the Disabled and St Martins Day Care Centre, now Active. As the charity has grown we have continued to work with these charities but have also been able to extend our support to a number of charities that work with children, young people and adults with learning difficulties and physical disabilities.
One thing we can’t quite get away from though is rugby and we are delighted to be able to work with and support the Rugby in Schools programme.
Le Rondin School
- £5,000 raised from Mule Loire 2018 allocated for various projects over the next two years;
- including a trip to Ice Skate Guernsey for the students
- Funds from Mule Normandie 2016 brought a new bike shed/store which we added a fibre glass roof to to extend its life;
- the maintenance and replacement of bicycles, 20 new cycle helmets, playground equipment and toys; and
- new rugby kit for four teams (30 children) for the 2016 Canaccord Primary Schools Tag Festival
- £8,000 from Mule Bretagne 2014 to develop the Garden of Reflection, planting the area and installing a water fountain and seating. The garden is an important area for pupils, parents and staff to enjoy peace and quiet and relax in challenging times.
- Bicycles for the children and an ongoing commitment to service and maintain the bikes
- Full set of judo mats
- Playground equipment and toys donated annually
- Water bottles
- Funding of the 2020 Christmas dinner at St Pierre Park. The event has grown to nearly 300 people.
- £8,000 raised from Mule Loire 2018 allocated for the Christmas lunch in 2018 and 2019 and the continued maintenance of the hydro-pool
- £2,000 from Mule Normandie for their Christmas lunch for 140 people in 2017
- £8,000 from both Mule Bretagne 2014 and Mule Normandie 2018 allowed us to restore their hydro-pool, which is of huge benefit to their users, and commit to continued maintenance and any repairs
- Supply of dressing gowns and towels for the users
- Supply of furniture, chairs and sofas, for the Day Centre
- Interactive activity board
Afternoon of Christmas
The Afternoon of Christmas is a free to attend concert at St Stephen’s Church. We stage the concert to further support the charities we work with by inviting their members and staff to attend, as well as to give something back to the wider community for their support of OF&D. In addition to the charity members, the audience is invited from Age Concern and we have a large number from the local residential homes alongside the general public.
Held since 2016, it is a lovely afternoon that can’t fail to get you in the festive spirit and is also the only opportunity you have in the year to experience the OF&D Singers…! In 2020 there was an audience of over 300 people and it is wonderful to see so many faces who come back year after year.
£7,000 allocated from Mule Loire 2018 will fund the concerts in 2018, 2019 and 2020.
Rugby in Schools
- Hire of the KGV grassed and 3G pitches for the Secondary Schools Boys 7s tournament since 2017
- Hire of the KGV 3G pitch for the Guernsey Secondary Schools to train throughout the winter for the Lord de Jersey Cup in Jersey since 2015 and provision of medals for both teams
- Donation of 540 rugby balls to all primary, junior and secondary schools on the Island
Click here to find out more about the Rugby in Schools programme.
- Commitment to sponsor the Everest Challenge from 2019-2021 at £3,000 per year to ensure that all money raised goes towards residential trips and allows them to purchase ropes, 20 harnesses and 20 helmets each reach
- £3,000 from Mule Loire 2018 allocated to continue our support of The Village project which is moving into phase two with the build of four sleeping cabins
- and the purchase of equipment for the physios to use in their daily work with the students
- £13,000 from Mule Normandy 2016 for the purchase and fitting of a professional catering standard kitchen at the new Village project to allow students to develop independent living skills. The kitchen was officially opened by H.E. The Lieutenant Governor Sir Ian Corder on 18 September 2018
- Funding to support a gym buddy scheme which encourages, motivates and enables members to exercise on a regular basis. An additional £7,500 from Mule Loire 2018 has been allocated to continue this project
- £4,000 from Mule Loire 2018 allocated to fund a Sleep Better Training course to train up 10 local practitioners.
Guernsey Disabled Sports Association
- Funding of the travel costs for a team from the GSAD to attend the Bath and West Games from 2012 to 2017, with £8,000 from Mule Normandie 2016
- Supply team vests, t-shirts and hoodies
Smaller donations to the following:
- Channel Islands Air Search
- Donation to a family with a child with a rare intestinal condition
- Guernsey Disabled Football Association
- Guernsey Raiders: purchase of a portable defibrilator
- Guernsey Sailing Trust: £2,500 from Mule Loire 2018 allocated for the purchase of a new sail for one of the boats used for the Sailability and Inclusion programme and 20 lifejackets
- Le Marchant Ward, Princess Elizabeth Hospital: OF&D donated the materials, designed and built wheelchair friendly raised planters as part of the transformation of the therapy garden. Funds from Mule Loire 2018 has allowed them to purchase additional planters, hanging baskets, seeds, plants, herbs, seasonal vegetables, gardening tools, etc. as the seasons change
- Monday Club: funds for their Christmas party and to take the members to the pantomine
- Special Needs Gymnastics: purchase of new gym mats and gymnastics equipment
OF&D has also made donations off-island to the following charities
- Dallaglio Foundation – which is where all this madness started. Very proud to have raised a total of £20,014 for the Foundation during the 2010 and 2012 Dallaglio Cycle Slams
- Cancer Research UK
- Matt Hampson Trust
- Royal Temple Yacht Club Sailing Academy
To view a breakdown of all the donations made by OF&D since we founded the charity in 2010 please click here.
A huge thank you to all our Mules, everyone who has attended one of our events, been hassled to buy raffle tickets at the rugby club or made a donation.